Friday, May 6, 2016

Deer Canyon, Utah

Deer Canyon in springtime.
A springtime hike up Deer Canyon in Natural Bridges National Monument. Another hike there, I mean. I'd been longing to return there, so I did.

Down into White Canyon to begin with. Beneath mighty Sipapu Natural Bridge, sixth largest in the world, as far as we know. A very special place, that's for sure.

Sipapu Bridge, with some hikers for scale.
Down the canyon. I'm enjoying the springtime flush of leaves on the deciduous species: Oak, Willow, Cottonwood. I love the winter snows here, but when they're absent I ache for the greenery of spring. No longer; spring is here.

Sipapu Bridge, from upstream.

Especially the wildflowers. 


Claret Cup hedgehog cactus, White Canyon.

Photo location: Natural Bridges National Monument (and environs), San Juan County, southeast Utah.

© Copyright 2016 Stephen J. Krieg





No comments:

Post a Comment